Understanding the people we design for is critical to the design process, but sometimes it’s difficult to draw out those personal experiences that allow us to gain fresh perspectives on a challenge. It’s even harder to make sense of our research findings, and uncover new meaning that provides insights we can design towards.
Great designers know that stories hold almost magical power in the design process – and we’re here with an exciting new masterclass that will allow you to build your skills in storytelling for user research!
- Build trust through stories
- Create the environment that allows stories to flow
- Spot the patterns and meanings in peoples’ stories
- Identify the emotional journeys in the stories you hear
- Turn stories into conversations that inform your sensemaking
Kickstart the New Year by supercharging your design skills at this hands-on, two-day programme brought to you by experienced storytelling designers at the School of X.
This masterclass is for you even if you don’t see yourself as a “natural” storyteller. Through the safe space stories create, and the non-judgmental environment of this class, you will be able to tap into your own storytelling talents, and find creative insights in the process that will enable your user research activities to become stronger and more meaningful.
During the programme you will learn techniques and skills that will allow you to understand how:
- stories take shape,
- to draw authentic stories out of people,
- to identify relevant insights,
- to bring those insights into framing your challenge, and
- to design solutions that make a difference.
Above all, we are confident you will have fun with us and like-minded participants!
Date: Thursday 11th & 18th January 2024
Time: 9.00am – 5.00pm
Venue: National Design Centre, Level 2, Auditorium (map)
Fee: $400 per person
Facilitators: Tzang Merwyn Tong and Tamsin Greulich-Smith
Please note: lunch is not provided.
There are no course pre-requisites: this masterclass is open to all.